The Sound Alert™ monaural headphone visibly signals to students and teachers when the headphone volume is louder than the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association recommended 85dB level.
When the volume that is played through the headphone exceeds 85 decibels, a bright red warning light on the earcup turns on, alerting both the teacher and student about an unsafe sound level requiring adjustment. Having an appropriate volume level pointed out will help teachers and students learn safe and lifelong listening practices, beginning in the classroom, learning center, or school library.
According to a March 2006 national poll commissioned by the American Speech-Language- Hearing Association, 40% of students reportedly set their music players' volume above 85 decibels, which is the level hearing experts recommend not be exceeded. If music can be heard coming from a student's headphone, the volume is too loud and the student is at risk of experiencing hearing loss.
Hearing loss can lead to many problems in school including: difficulty with academic achievement in language arts, vocabulary, arithmetic, and problem solving. Students with hearing loss score lower on achievement tests, and have greater needs for special education or extra support in the classroom.
This durable headphone is based on the rugged Califone monaural headphone, which is the educator's standard for listening centers, ELL and ELD and other language learning activities.
The Sound Alert headphone can be used as a normal headphone without charging the battery, but the warning LED feature will not operate. The headphone saves power by shutting off when no audio signal is present for 60 seconds and will power on automatically when there is an audio signal present.
- Rugged polypropylene headstrap and ABS plastic earcups
- Adjustable headband fits students of all sizes
- Red LED will turn on when the audio level exceeds 85dB
- Orange LED will light when recharging and turns green once completed and the system is on and operational
- Permanently attached coiled cord with reinforced connection resists accidental pull out for safety, right angle 3.5mm plug to minimize accidental pull out
- Slotted baffle prevents access to speaker, avoids accidental puncturing of the speaker cone
- Noise-reducing earcups lower ambient noise so volume does not need to be as high, as recommended by audiologists for hearing safety
- Replaceable, cleanable ear cushions for multiple users
- One year warranty for school use - unlike headphones purchased at a consumer electronics store whose warranty is voided if used in schools